Monday 11 June 2012

Monday Mama


 Twitter is a friend of ours, and we love it because it has the brilliant ability to find us great friends. One of them is the lovely Suki P. In the know blogger of the sleak and fun blog KidstyleJunkie. The fellow Swede is this weeks Monday Mama, and she gives us some great insight into blogging, fashion and motherhood.



Name: Suzanne Peters (writing as Suki P)
Location: North West London

You liken children's clothing drugs and you're our pusher. Where does this
passion for fashion come from?

I’m likening shopping to a drug. For as long as I can remember, I have been into clothes. Experimenting as a kid and a teen with relatively horrible results. Nonetheless, the obsession started young and has intensified with age. Though hopefully, the results are better now!

Which one is more fun? Fashion for you or for the kids?

I constantly pore over style magazines and blogs – I love fashion. I don’t actually shop that much for myself (though my husband would disagree with this point…).  However, I really love shopping for kids clothes – as do my kids. They run around shops, picking things out and saying “mummy, is this cute?”

In fact, I used to sell kids clothes about 11 years ago. Really funky labels that were not yet in the UK at the time like American Outfitters and Petunia Picklebottom diaper bags. So I like to think I have a good eye for what works.

You once told me your mother is Swedish, how much of the Swedish culture
have you been brought up with?

I spent all my summers there as a kid, wearing clogs, picking wild blueberries and swimming naked! I got married in Sweden too. Swedes are incredibly polite people, and that is something I'm very fussy about and try super hard to install in my kids. That, and Swedish sweets like Plopp, Skum Banan and Bilar. Very important!

Scandi culture is very popular at the moment, and not the least when it
comes to fashion, why do you think this is?

In recent years I think Scandi fashion has become world class. It's all about clean lines, classic styles, layering and interesting prints. It’s almost beyond trend – you can wear it season after season.

I mean look at Acne – LOVE IT! Also, COS is a favourite shop of mine and to me epitomises Scandi-chic. I call it 'Poor Mans Marni' and it had saved me a fortune over the years!

And for kids – Cloud Nine takes my breath away. So beautiful.


How do you like to dress your children, and are they giving their own
input yet?

As I have identical twins (age 5), my Number One style rule is never to dress them the same and preferably not even similar. This is not only because it makes me ill to see (!), but also psychologically it's very important for them to look different to each other. AND it helps people tell them apart too!

If we have a party or a lunch with friends, I like to have some input into their outfits. Minnie is much fussier than Roxie so if I pick two outfits, she selects from that. The rest of the time (which is most of the time) I let them choose themselves. The fact is that I have built up a good base selection in their wardrobe, so I don't need to worry too much about any nightmare twee appliqué situations arising!

What are your favorite finds in the baby fashion world?

I have always loved Polarn o Pyret for classic baby gear. And I have always liked the little known fact that as a mum of twins you get a 10% discount! I also think Next, Gap Baby, Zara Baby and H&M have SOME incredible pieces. Sorry to be a stick in the mud but until kids are walking and more toddlerish, I don't personally believe in buying them expensive designer gear.

For slightly older kids - these designer brands give me palpitations – Talc, Une Sardine a Rio, Little Marc Jacobs, Sonia Rykiel Enfant, ilovegorgeous, Miller, Kicokids, Marni and Cloud Nine.

Do you think runway fashion inspires children's fashion at all, or is it
the other way around?

I definitely think runway collections inspire the kids collections from a colour, texture and trend perspective. Though luckily with kids clothes I don't really think it matters if you wear it a few seasons later. Which is why sales time is so key! But I truly believe kids shouldn't look like mini-me's, kids should dress like kids.

What is your favourite SS2012 trend?

Sports styling. My staple uniform is leggings, trainers - well, gym gear really. Not that I go particularly, I just like to make the other mums think I do! My favourite purchase for my girls within this trend are Feiyue hi-tops. I’m loving them.

What do you predict will be the most popular one for AW 2012

My favourite trend is Punk Tech. A fusion of classic lines with a rock edge – we’re talking zips, studs, skulls, pattern clash, distressed denim, leather, strong colours. Attitude!


What's your top wish list items from www.latte-mama.com?

  1. I’m loving the retro pattern and colours of the Sture & Lisa Many Hearts onesie.
  2. The Life’s a Circus tee from No Added Sugar would look great with skinny jeans or chinos rolled up and baseball boots.
  3. I also love the No Added Sugar Assouline denim skirt. It’s a great shape. I tend to buy skirts small as I like them to look mini. It’s cuter.






No comments:

Post a Comment