Thursday 31 May 2012

Euphoric Sweden

I've always watched the Eurovision song contest, and I've always watched Melodifestivalen, the big and extravagant show where Sweden's spokesperson is chosen. We sat there, and we judged, and we were critical. This would be one of the most important decisions for Sweden, and it's future. It got increaisngly difficult to keep up with the competitinon when I moved to London. I went to Harcourt arms in Marylebone aka Little Sweden once to watch Melodifestivalen. It's like it didn't exist outside Swedish realms. I was convined there wasn't much Europe in Eurovision song contest at all.  It's like it didn't exist out there. This year I came to Sweden after Loreen had won Melodifestivalen. In every car I sat in, and every room where the radio was on, Loreen was on. Euphoria was playing every 15 minutes. I realised this was for brainwashing purposes but did the radio peeps not know we don't get to vote? Or did they in fact just want us to feel Euphoric, and get us ready for when Sweden was announced winners of the Eurovision contest?

The truth is, we've been waiting for this. We've been preparing for this, and secular Sweden has even been praying for this. Ever since Charlotte Perrelli (then Nilsson) won with the song "Take me to your heaven", we've assumed a hosting gig was around the corner.

Here it is, Euphoria by Loreen, winner of Eurovision Song Contest 2012. Did we win because we had a great song? Because we were making a multicultural statement with a morocco rooted singer? Or do we just have impeccable skills in marketing in PR. Whatever the reason is, I can't put my finger on it.  Good, or bad, I can't decide because I've listened to the song on average 6 times a day for the past 3 months. I may not like it, but I know it. I'm very happy that Sweden won, I'm excited, proud and exhilerated. I am even hoping to get tickets for the show next year.

Thanks to Loreen for the song, to the Swedish people for wanting her to represent us and to everyone else who voted. Sweden is feeling euphoric, and so am I.






No comments:

Post a Comment