Monday 28 May 2012

Monday Mama: MrsChicFantastique


Monday Mama

 Kids, Fashion and Blogging with some of the Nets most famous Latte Mama's

Monday Mama is back with an all new crowd of wonderful Mum's from across Britain and Europe, giving us an exclusive look into the latest in kids fashion and blogging straight from those that matter.  

This week we have the pleasure of MrsChic Fantastique, event designer, freelance fashion and lifestyle journalist and blogger with a passion for social media.




Name – Mrs ChicFantastique AKA Michaela Deasy-Smith

Location – London and the South of France

Website – in the design stage

Michaela and her lovely daughter

There's so much passion for fashion on your blog, and it really shows through, when and how did this passion start? 


I studied journalism, art history and business at university, taking an internship with ABC radio in Australia. But every week I was writing to Vogue, Cosmo, and every teen fashion mag I could. While I was doing that a friend asked me to help organise a new salon store opening for Toni & Guy. It went really well, for a first time event organiser. I loved the buzz, and so steered my career into events, and boy, I’ve had fun. From Royalty, to celebs, the rich and the not so famous, I’ve had an absolute ball, and it’s been a lot of hard work. Ask Mr ChicFantastique who’s had to ring me at 4am to find out when I would be coming home, and that’s been in the weeks leading up to an event.  

At 7 months pregnant I was asked to travel to the Emirates to start work on another event project, and it was so huge, and such a fabulous opportunity, and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep up the work commitment, so I bowed out, and that’s when the blogging really took off. I am truly passionate about breathing life in the UK high street, giving a voice to independent fashion designers, retailers and creatives. If someone had told me 15 years ago that I could be using the internet to create a voice and easily get my work published, I could have been a millionaire over and over by now.

How has your style changed since becoming a mother? 


I definitely put more effort into making sure everything I wear is flattering to my shape (and I sometimes take a photo of what I look like before I go out – isn’t that just super vain?). I tend to put my jewellery on after I leave Chic Mini otherwise she will pull at it. I’m also more obsessed than ever about anti-ageing products. I do so much research into food, creams, and of course Botox, which Mr CF will not allow. If you would like to know more about my anti-ageing crusade, tune into Twitter on the 7th of June for my Twitter party exploring the world of natural vs surgery.

Tell us more about your blog and how it complements your profession.  


My blog has to be newsworthy, interesting, inspirational and as independent as possible with a luxury edge. I suppose I am a ‘blogger’, but I make sure that my journalism skills shine through with accuracy, spelling and grammar, and attention to detail. People seem to like what I do and actual paid writing and events work is slowly coming through via ChicFantastique.

You're from Australia, live in London and visit France often, what can you tell us about how fashion varies in the different countries? 


THE biggest fashion difference is that UGGS are Australian and something we all had as kids - they were our slippers. So different looking to what they are now. But in Australia we would never have worn them out – they are for the house only. In the UK I have been at a cocktail party and girls have arrived wearing a fabulous dress and UGGS  – oh my god!!! NO.
You will not find anyone in France, no matter how cold it is wearing UGGS unless it’s a tourist. French women wear the most flattering leather mid-calf and knee high boots, and I love the look.

The UK is a hot-pot of independent fashion talent who design clothes, shoes and handbags, and I get goose-pimples each time I discover a new one.
I spend a lot of time in the South of France where fashion is all about luxury labels.
Australia does the best swimwear and underwear. My annual parcel is due to arrive from mum any day now.

How would you describe your little girl’s style? 


Chic Mini is Mariella. She has a fabulous head of dark hair, and massive bright, blue eyes, and eyelashes we would pay for.  And she wears colour so well. I’ve never had her in a lot of pink – she looks stunning in red, blue, deep purple. I’ve even had her in black. Mariella always has a trademark clip in her hair and wears hats beautifully. French baby and children’s clothing is always so full of colour, hardly any pink in sight, and I love it.

What are your favorite finds in the baby fashion world? 


We adore Sooki an Australian brand. The pieces have super cute designs such as Babushka Dolls; very functional with buttons and clips in all the right places, and they wash up well time and time again. We also have a stack of Bonds singlets…a bedtime must.
No Added Sugar is another gorgeous brand that design eye-catching pieces with zip and button detail and cute fabrics. I have my eye on the Trapeze Jump Suite on the Latte-Mama website, but waiting for a smaller Chic Mini size.

I don’t mind what brand we buy, but I have to have fab body suits for every day – long sleeve, short sleeve, sleeveless for the hot days.

Do you think runway fashion inspires children's fashion at all, or is it the other way around?


Oh absolutely. That is the beauty of runway fashion.  But becoming a parent is a very personal thing and gives you the most amazing confidence to get out of your comfort zone. Look at Victoria Beckham. But what I have noticed more in the last 5 years is that well known designers are becoming parents themselves. We are seeing their children in the front row at the catwalk, and the designers glowing with pride. Dona Karan famously created DKNY with her daughter in mind.


What is your favourite trend for SS 2012?


In 1996 I travelled Malaysia and Thailand and it was hot. I bought these really light-weight patterned trousers (we say pants), and not just one, but about a suitcase full. I’ve got no idea where they are – perhaps a charity shop or two. The printed trouser is back! And all I can think of are my travels. But I’ve relented and bought a pair from H&M and they are fab, fab, fab. This is what I’ve worn in my photoshoot for you. Make sure you wear with heels.


I also love the oversized clutch. I’ve invested in the Orange Lizard Oversized Clutch by New York designer Riki Rosetta available through BagServant.co.uk


What do you predict will be the most popular one for AW 2012?


I am seeing a lot of peacock jewel colours coming out of Australia at the moment. The very gorgeous Delta Goodrem (judge on The Voice, Australia) wore a stunning sequin blazer the other night at an outdoor appearance, and I want one.



Also, big bags. I’ve just discovered Jane Goodchild, handbag designer, and her lust-have big totes. You can try-on and buy at POP The Fashion Store in Olney. 
Mmmm, big bag love.

Mina Shoes £34-£40

What is your top wish list items from www.latte-mama.com? 


Each week I am measuring Chic Mini’s feet hoping she is ready for the gorgeous ballerina pumps by Mina Shoes. One day! One day!






No comments:

Post a Comment