Friday 11 November 2011

Internet burnt down the village


A word which reaccured during my pregnancy was: support. It was the deadly final strike to the most occuring question thrown at me during my pregnancy and early months of motherhood; Do you have any support?! I initially didn't know how to reply, until I once again had in got a new midwife during my 32nd week of pregnancy, she and smiled as my frustration because of this question had accumulated, and I had decided to ask for a definition. I said: Support is a funny word isn't it? What do you people mean by it? It didn't take long until the lingo of motherhood was assimilated into my vocabulary, and soon after, the words used by single mothers followed, and now I am certified in the speech of blogging single mom. I am still not sure what is meant when people used the word support. It's often said that it takes a village to raise a child. In this modern world of ours, and in a city like London you can consider yourself very lucky if a nan, a granddad, an uncle or an auntie, -fake or real, is in your vicinity. The village is gone, and is now replaced by the community. An online community in most cases. Google went from online search engine to the hypokondriaks wet dream, forums have gone from being discussion boards to the modern day village.
My situation has changed since I moved back, we are now three women and two boys in the house. In only 24 hours, I'd nurse him, my mother feeds him solids, changes his nappy, gives him his baths, changes his clothes, takes him out on walks, my sister gives him cuddles, plays peek-a-boo and my younger brothers are there for the get down-on-your knees playing which an infant needs but I'm too lazy to do. I realsie this sounds more like a I bought one book which was a timeline of your child first year, not because I had to but because I am old school . truth be told, everything I needed to know was one click away, and if I ever needed to speak to anyone, there were 5 different social netwroks I could log into. I've been through, interviews, online articles, published articles, surveys, forums, communities, blogs and more and its not unitl now that I realise why I did. It wasn'tbecause I was curious, or paranoid or intrigued by the stages of nappy rashes; it was because I had no support. I needed someone who didn't look at me and say; I can't believe your mom - But, instead said, all babies do that. I am back in my mothers house, Its not London, its a small town, where nans and granpapas are not a privilege but a requirement to survive motherhood. I still read blogs, and I still write one in hope that someone will find it useful, but my community won't be raising my child for me now, I have my village.

No comments:

Post a Comment