Sunday 20 November 2011

Monday Mama #4

The epitome of what the LatteMama team strive to be, and the pure
definition of what a true LatteMama is can be found in the twitter and blog
world. We are so intrigued by Kaisa Larkas-Mossop, her style, her Finnish
heritage, her home and mother life that we just had to have her featured
as our Monday Mama. We go on her sleek blog on a daily basis and with
anticipation wait for her "Wear What" and "Sunday Style" posts. With our
Monday Mama moment we've gotten to know Kaisa better and we're more hooked
than ever. Get to know her yourself too!

Name: Kaisa Larkas-Mossop
Blogname: Mum on the run
Twitter name:@kaisalarkas
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Keeping it brief: I moved to London from Helsinki at 18 to study. After graduating,
I worked at a few women's magazines before going freelance. I now mainly write
for the Finnish Elle and a couple of in flight and interior magazines. I met my English
husband when I was on my last year at uni and we have three children, aged five,
nearly three and one. Oh, and I wish I had an unlimited shoe & handbag fund! :)

Why I blog and how it started: I honestly never thought I would start a blog!
But I was walking my daughter to school not long ago and suddenly thought that
there must be mums who, despite loving their children more than anything, want
to read about something other than potty training, breast feeding, tooth fairies
and weaning. ;) I wanted to start a blog about light hearted, interesting and even
silly stuff, like my many failed baking attempts and also just simply post pictures
of what me or the kids wore. I also try to keep my posts short so people can read
them quickly whether they are about exercise&fitness or an interview I do every
Monday with anyone from a fashion designer to an inspirational mum.

My nicknames for the LatteBabies: My husband wanted our kids to have Finnish
names, which I was very happy about. But because of this, their nicknames wouldn't
make much sense to anybody who isn't Finnish!

One thing I know I shouldn't let my children do but allow anyways: Eat in front
of the TV. I don't allow it often but when I do, it makes such a mess.
(For me to clean up, of course!)

The things I'm happy to say my child got from me: They are all very social and
have never been clingy. My daughter told me on her first day at nursery 2 years ago:
"Mum, can you go now so I can play with my friends" (her friends being a room full
of kids she had never met before), and my middle son who has just started
pre-school settled straight in too. I love the fact that they are not shy and I guess I
can take at least some credit for that. They are also very headstrong and sometimes
too clever for their own good but for that, I also blame my husband a little bit - in a
good way, of course! :)

I'm a LatteMama because: I don't really consider myself one but thank you! My
children are my world but I think it's important to make sure you still remain true to
what you were like before you had kids. So as much as I'm often tempted to do the
school and pre-school runs in my pyjamas and hair sticking out, I try to make an
effort to look nice. In addition, I have recently gotten addicted to running so I try to
make sure I have time for that.Things obviously change when you have kids but it's
important to occasionally take time for yourself. I think that also makes you a better
mum.

How motherhood has changed me and my style: I hate to admit this but I think
I'm a bit more uptight now. Although my friends would say otherwise. (They seem to
think I'm the most relaxed mum they know, bless them!) As for my style, since having
kids and when they are small, you obviously have to be more aware of what is
practical when you're at the park,play groups etc. But I've always been quite a casual
dresser anyway, and most comfortable in jeans, boots and a cool top.

The one piece of advice I'd give to new mums is: Don't listen to other people's
advice too much as you as a mum will know what is right for you and your baby! :)

My future projects and goals are:I might be getting involved in a very cool
performance project called Fairytale Punk as I've been asked to do the PR for it.
And yes, I did a half marathon and am keen to do the full one next year.
(Maybe New York so I can combine the run with great restaurants and shopping?!) And I'm
dreaming about opening a little boutique with a few good friends in the village where
I live. We'll see if anything will ever come of that...

My Finnish traditions which I have yet to let go are: I like to sit around the table
husband is working late. In addition, in Finland and in Scandinavia as a whole, people
tend to be out with their kids a lot and I think it's really important. I also bring back
things, such as rye bread, every time I've been back home.And we always have two
different Christmas dinners cooked by my husband: the traditional Finnish one on Christmas Eve,
followed by the equally traditional English one the next day.

The one thing I'd choose from www.latte-mama.com little ones would be...
How do you expect me to choose just one?! I love the green moose top 
but if it really  has to be just one item, it would have to be the No Added Sugar
Roley Poley harem pants that would look adorable on my youngest son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment