Saturday 10 December 2011

LatteMama sees no colour

Now that I’ve been spending some time in Sweden, I’m a better judge of what true Swedish clothes are. Genderless is the term that is often used to describe Swedish fashion. White, brown, green, yellow, the so-called neutral colures are meant to empower children. Let them know that it’s ok to wear red if you’re a boy, and it’s adored when a girl wears blue. Because I am from Sweden I’ve never cared about colour when it came to dressing my son, majority of his clothes are red, some shirts are pink and it’s not until recent gender confusion (people referring him to she and her) that I’v decided to put a little bit of blue in his closet. I’ve recently noticed that the clothes at LatteMama differ greatly from brand to brand when it comes to colour, and associating them with gender. No Added Sugar and Bonnie Baby our popular British brands, tend to put girls in a certain colour and boys in a different one. It’s not always pink for girls, but it’s always opposing colours for the two. Are No Added Sugar boys like LatteBaby always mistaken for girls and need the blue to make a statement to the works?

Last week I couldn’t find any pyjamas for LatteBaby. I saw my nieces old dress and at the time I put it on him I thought I was desperate to keep him warm and I would never put him in a dress. Truth be told he wore that dress for three days. I didn’t care. I didn’t see it as confusing, nor did I find it embarrassing. It’s just a dress, on a boy who isn’t 2 yet, and who doesn’t understand the difference between wearing a dress and going without trousers. My brothers didn’t see it the way I did. One insisted I’d take it off him immediately. But why does it matter? He didn’t go out in it, nobody except for the family saw a boy in a dress and I wasn’t making a statement by letting him wear it. It truly didn’t make me think twice about the situation, except for trying to understand why it was such a problem.

There is a couple in Sweden that caused great frenzy as they’ve hidden their childs gender from everyone including their child. They want it to now “matter”. Wouldn’t it be better to tell the child it’s gender and then add that it doesn’t matter instead of depriving it of one of the greatest categorisations in the world? Doesn’t it matter more if they feel the need to hide it? What do I know? I’m just a mum who puts her son in a dress cause there’s nothing else to wear.

4 comments:

  1. i totally agree. the same goes to long hair. evryone says that cisco is a girl, gladly he doesn't even care!! neither do I. we are all humans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I am totally with you. We refuse to dress Lime like a girl just because she happens to be one. As you know from my 'interview' 'Life's too short to wear only pink or blue' and that's why Lime's clothes drawer resembles a rainbow.

    Do people mistake her for a boy? Yes, 95% of the time. Do I care? No! First off, at almost 16 months she doesn't look like a girl just yet. Her features are those of a baby and her hair is just growing back. She doesn't know the difference so it doesn't bother her. Once she's 4 or 5 or whatever, looks like a girl and knows she's one..then I might be bothered and offended that people are so closed minded that anyone wearing blue/green/brown/black/grey/anything not pink is a boy.

    I might have to copy&paste this as a blog post ;p

    Nev

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked it! People always refer to him as a she, last time it happened was 2 days ago. His hats are pink and red, and so are his lips which I sometimes think confuse people. I don't mind, I know it can be very upsetting for some people when i get it wrong, but as you said....they're so young it truly doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tikastefano my little boy has blonde curls and it makes him a she. I think long hair has become more acceptable now, let's wait and see until dresses are too....

    ReplyDelete